Working out of a file box on their dining room table in 1986, a young paramedic and his wife started a transportation company that would eventually become one of Louisiana's most well-known and respected ambulance service providers, MedExpress Ambulance Service, Inc.
The couple, Mark and Ginger Majors, would struggle over the years to break into new markets, working tirelessly to convince elected officials to give their small company an opportunity to provide quality emergency medical service to their residents. Time and again, their efforts paid off, as MedExpress continued an aggressive expansion in Louisiana and Mississippi.
In 2001 MedExpress was awarded a major contract by the U.S. government to provide emergency and non-emergency services to military personnel and their families at Louisiana's FortPolk military base. Today MedExpress operates an ambulance service in five Louisiana parishes-Rapides, Sabine, Grant, St. Landry, Vernon,-but has diversified from its core ambulance business.
In 2006 MedExpress was awarded another U. S. government contract in Utah at Dugway Proving Grounds.
Now known as MedExpress Companies, the entity generates business from multiple revenue streams from a state-of-the-art headquarters in Alexandria, La.The 12,600-square-foot facility has four miles of cable running through the building; a 50KW generator that provides continuous, uninterrupted power; a new weather satellite from the National Weather Service; and computer aided dispatch from Zoll Data Systems (directly integrated with the billing system).
All administrative functions of MedExpress Companies are directed from this location, which was completed in 2003. This facility also houses MedComm, a call taking communications and dispatch center, and the Central Louisiana American Red Cross Dispatch Operations.
The facility houses most of the corporate entities that fall under the MedExpress Companies banner, including:
- MedExpress Ambulance Service, Inc. offering emergency and non emergency services.
- MedTrans, a para-transit service that utilizes full-sized vans retrofitted with lifts to allow for comfortable transport of those confined to a wheelchair.
- CenLa Professional Development Center LLC providing continuing education and advanced training to fire, EMS, law enforcement, health care, and other professions.
- Spectrum Products and Technology LLC, offering Segway HTs and accessories, mobility devices, a MedCall personal alert system, MedTime automated medication dispensers, Littman stethoscopes, AEDs, and gift items for public safety and health care professionals and supplies for medical professionals.
- MedStaff, Inc. providing professional medical staffing in the international and industrial marketplace. This division offers clinical staffing, disaster response assessment, reaction teams, and qualified medical professionals.
MedRelief, MedExpress' non-profit corporation, provides humanitarian aid as part of its evangelical outreach to people across the globe.
MedStaff has provided qualified staffing for various International projects. In recent years it has been in the war-torn area of Iraq that has benefitted from MedExpress Companies' international expertise. In late 2003-at a time when political unrest and violence were at their peak-Mark was on a plane to Baghdad, and the result of that initial trip was the construction of a medical clinic at the Baghdad International Airport.
Critical Care Certified Paramedics were assigned to provide expanded scope of practice treatment and procedures for the employees of contractors working in Iraq. Utilizing the latest developments in telemedicine allowed oversight and medical control by a U.S. physician. A consummate entrepreneur, Mark continues to pursue an array of additional opportunities Internationally
MedExpress' companies have consistently participated in or organized community activities throughout the markets they serve. They range from Festivals, Thanksgiving and Christmas drives that have collected thousands of dollars in gifts and food items for the needy to specialty patient transports.
One of the more notable events that MedExpress Ambulance Service organizes is the "Home for the Holidays." Patients are transported from nursing homes or like facilities and reunited with their families during the holiday season. MedExpress offers this as a no cost service for qualifying patients.